Saturday, June 7, 2008

Franklin Letter

Sir,

The gentleman who has the honor and pride to deliver this message first hand to your Excellency I do assure you has the abilities and strength to fight as an officer in this war. I do only recruit the best for I believe that the best will win this war. This humble gentleman can speak German and Latin as well as our exquisite language. He has many dreams just as the rest of us, however I esteem that he, unlike many, will fulfill his dreams if you approve of him. I give this letter of recommendation to your Excellency for this person as a request to ask you of your precious time and look carefully at this kind and hardworking gentleman. I wish you the best in your health and prosperity. Your most obedient and humble servant,

B. Franklin

Sir,

I am sincerely disappointed in writing you your Excellency yet another letter which its contents within it state I have not yet retrieved what I set out to accomplish. I assure you your Excellency that I, your dear friend am doing everything in my power to encourage officers to your continental army and to discourage foreign officers from crossing the sea and standing by you in battle as traitors to your Excellency. I also write you this letter to you telling you of my struggles to convince the French in to fighting with us against the British. However, as much as I am wearing myself thin, I am a humble servant to you and do believe that the French will soon be with us. I hear good news of the Congress in the comings of the Declaration of Independence. I do hope and wish that you make humble yet courageous decisions regarding your life and the war. I look forward to the time where I can write to you and celebrate in high spirits the winnings of this war. I wish you the best in your health and prosperity. With the highest esteem and respect, I am dear sir, your most obedient and humble servant.

B. Franklin

No comments: